Our network

Rain chances go up Wednesday

Rain chances go up Wednesday
We will start of with partly cloudy skies Wednesday. The rain chance will go up in the afternoon. We will have a 40% chance for afternoon showers and some thunderstorms developing. High temps will be around 89. We will be watching how far south the front will sink on Thursday. We expect a 40% chance for showers to remain in the area. Later in the day, those rain chances will shift to the south. Temperatures will hold in the upper 80s. Back to the 20% chance of isolated afternoon showers for the end of the week and the weekend with highs in the low 90s. 

Getting back to "typical" July weather

Getting back to "typical" July weather

We are spoiled after the dry air and lower temperatures for the 4th of July weekend! Things are getting back to "normal" for July. Temperatures are moving up and the humidity is also rising. We had just a few isolated showers that were south and northeast of Atlanta Monday. Those are dying out this evening.

Tuesday will be pretty similar as it was on Monday. Temperatures will get a little warmer. Our high will move up to 91. We will continue with a 20% chance for an isolated afternoon shower.

Following the path of Arthur

Following the path of Arthur

Hurricane Arthur is pulling away from the North Carolina coast after making landfall at Cape Lookout. As of 9 a.m. Arthur is a strong Category 1 Hurricane with sustained winds of 90 mph.

Hurricane warnings have been issued for coastal areas from Ocracoke Inlet, North Carolina northward to the North Carolina-Virginia border and eastern Albemarle Sound.

Arthur nearing hurricane strength

Arthur nearing hurricane strength

Tropical Storm Arthur continues to slowly move north, and is forecast to pick up in speed and strength. The storm is forecast to become a hurricane by Thursday.

Hurricane warnings have been issued for coastal areas from Surf City, North Carolina northward to Duck. The warning area includes Pamlico Sound and Eastern Albemarle Sound. A hurricane watch has been issued for Little River Inlet to south of Surf City. Tropical storm warnings are currently in effect for coastal areas from South Santee River South Carolina to south of Surf City; north of Duck to Cape Charles Light, Virginia, but not including the Chesapeake Bay; western Albemarle Sound.

Tracking Tropical Storm Arthur

Tracking Tropical Storm Arthur

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- The first tropical storm of the 2014 Atlantic Hurricane Season formed Tuesday and could affect the Carolinas as a hurricane by Thursday.

Tropical Storm Arthur formed Tuesday morning as it crawled off of Florida's east coast at 2 mph.

Tracking potential tropical system forming midweek

Tracking potential tropical system forming midweek

The first tropical system of the season will likely develop as we lead up to the 4th of July.

There is an area of low pressure off the eastern coast of Florida that is beginning to get a little better organized. The National Hurricane Center is giving this a 60% chance that it will develop into a tropical system within the next 48 hours. They give it an 80% chance of developing within 5 days.

The computer models show it moving south, then curving back up to the north and east skirting the Atlantic coastline.

As July 4th gets closer we will get hotter

As July 4th gets closer we will get hotter

Even hotter air is on the way as we work towards July 4th. That in addition to the muggy conditions will make for a pretty uncomfortable workweek weatherwise. Temperatures will move up to the mid 90s Monday through Thursday. The outlook for July 4th remains hot. Morning temperatures for the Peachtree Road Race will be in the mid to upper 70s. Afternoon temperatures will be in the mid 90s. Evening temperatures will hold in the mid 80s for the fireworks. There will be a slight chance for afternoon and early evening showers. We will keep fine tuning that forecast for the 4th as we get closer to it.

LIVE RADAR: Watch LIVE Atlanta area weather radar